Jordan is a Food Waste Superhero. He is the founder of End Food Waste and the brains behind the new Ugly Fruit and Veg campaign that you might have seen on Twitter or Instagram. He’s been teaming up with people and organizations from around the world, from celebrity chef Jamie Oliver to The National Resource Defense Fund to combat this major issue. Lucky for us the good thing about food waste is that just about everyone, no matter your circumstances, can help solve the problem.
Ways to Get Involved
- Visit your local farmer’s market or co-op and purchase less-than-perfect-looking fruits and veggies. If you buy it from farmers they are less likely to waste it but instead bring it with them to sell. If they don’t have any, ask for it!
- Ask you local grocery store if they offer imperfect or ugly fruit and vegetables at a discount or a specified ugly fruit and veg bin/display.
- Take photos of #UglyFruitAndVeg, post it on social media with hashtags and tag Jordan at @UglyFruitAndVeg to help spread the word!
Books & Films
- Just Eat It
- Waste: Uncovering the Global Food Scandal
- American Wasteland: How America Throws Away Nearly Half of Its Food (and What We Can Do About It)American Wasteland by Johnathan Bloom
- Waste-Free Kitchen Handbook: A Guide to Eating Well and Saving Money By Wasting Less Food
Other Key People in the Food Waste Movement
- Dana Gunders
- Michael Pollan
- National Resource Defense Council