Lauren Nixon is a food and wellness educator giving workshops in and around D.C. Philadelphia and New York. She has a passion for creating spaces where people feel empowered to combine healthy food and self-care practices to gain well-rounded understanding of how to nourish themselves.
My favorite takeaway from this episode:
- Ask what your needs are versus what your wants are. Lauren made a list in her journal of what her soul needs versus what her ego needs and found the exercise to be very helpful.
- Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us
- Eating Animals
- Grub: Ideas for an Urban Organic Kitchen
- Diet for a Hot Planet: The Climate Crisis at the End of Your Fork and What You Can Do about It
- Light Is the New Black: A Guide to Answering Your Souls Callings and Working Your Light
- LocalHarvest.Org – Find local farmer’s market near you!
- USDA Farmers Market List
- Johnson’s Backyard Garden (Austin, TX and elsewhere)
- Miki Palchick – beautiful, hand-crafted fermentation vessels
- Youtube – you can learn just about anything here. Lauren learned knife skills and I learned all about aquaponics (I also learned how to drive stick shift on Youtube…go figure!)