Chance Thompson is a Senior Manager of Sustainability and PR for SMG, one of the world’s largest event management companies. He brings sustainable event planning to the Salt Palace Convention Center and Mountain America Expo Center in Salt Lake, Utah. In this episode, Chance tells us about the most rewarding and challenging parts of his job and shares helpful tips for us to bring large-scale sustainability solutions to our own events.
Chance Thompson, Sr Manager of Sustainability for locations like @SaltPalaceCC shares green event tips and the oddest event item he’s ever had to recycle. Learn how you can bring big venue green event strategies to your own weddings, birthdays and cookouts https://t.co/jS3dlik2na pic.twitter.com/QdrqLEscJU
— A Sustainable Mind (@SustainableMind) April 6, 2018
Salt Palace and Chance Online:
Book Suggestions & Resources From Chance:
Meet Green – a sustainable events management company
This Changes Everything by Naomi Klein
- SMG Salt Lake Green Team – Environmental Policy ***
- SMG Salt Lake Green Team – Sustainable Events Program ***– The outward facing doc we send clients, partners, vendors, etc.
- Soon to be available – Our 2018 Diversion Tracker (reach out to Chance if interested)
- Solitude Speedway by Chad Farnes (Salt Palace Artwork)
- Something we didn’t talk about
- Salt Lake County Sustainability: Something I didn’t get a chance to mention in our talk, but Salt Lake County is our primary stakeholder. They own and fund our facilities and provided the funding for our new Sustainability Department and my new position. They have been a key financial driver to all of our sustainability success. They are diving into climate reduction goals and implementing sustainable legislation and programs to our community and economy
- Here are a few case studies for donation (we discussed both a bit on the call):
- Salt Palace Convention Center Website
- Events Industry Council (EIC) Sustainability Website***
- EIC Sustainability Newsletter Archive and Signup
- EIC Webinar Series (Chance is hosting the one on March 27th, 2018! Click here to sign up)***
- APEX Standards Website
- EIC Sustainability Social Media: Facebook, Twitter, Link
- URA Website
- URA Calendar of Events – Check out our calendar of events, great for helping citizens and businesses reduce landfill footprint!
- URA Social Media: Facebook, Twitter, Inst
- Salt Lake City (Sustainability Department): Salt Palace is trying to do our part in helping Salt Lake reach carbon goals. They are one of the city government/legislations committing to the Paris Accord and diving into zero carbon and waste commitments.