Maya K. van Rossum is the Founder of Green Amendments For the Generations, a grassroots non-profit organization inspiring a nationwide movement to secure constitutional recognition and protection of environmental rights in every state and ultimately at the federal level. van Rossum is also the Delaware Riverkeeper, leading the watershed-based advocacy organization, the Delaware Riverkeeper Network, for 25 years in its efforts to protect the health of the Delaware River and its tributaries.
Maya was a lead petitioner in the 2013 landmark Robinson Township, Delaware Riverkeeper Network, et. al. v. Commonwealth of Pennsylvania case that breathed new life into Pennsylvania’s long ignored environmental rights amendment. A skilled activist, attorney, strategist and community organizer, she was named in 2020 as a River Hero by River Network, in 2019 as one of Philadelphia Business Journal’s Power 100, and One Of The “10 Most Influential People of 2015” when It Comes to Energy Issues by SNL Energy.
Maya is the author of The Green Amendment: Securing Our Right to a Healthy Environment, which was selected as the 2018 Living Now Evergreen Awards GOLD Winner in the Nature Conservation category. Since launching Green Amendments For The Generations, constitutional amendments have been proposed in New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Vermont and West Virginia.
Wren helps you calculate your carbon footprint and then go carbon neutral by investing in environmental projects across the globe. Sign up and take the carbon footprint quiz at Wren.co/ASM and get 10 extra trees planted in your name!
Brooklyn Candle Studio specializes in hand-crafted eco-friendly luxury candles. Get 20% off with the promo code SUSTAINABLE20 at BrooklynCandleStudio.com!
In this episode, Marjorie and Maya discuss:
- Is our environment actually protected under current legislation?
- States that are getting environmental protection right and why
- The one thing you should always do when speaking to local and state officials about the importance of environmental protections…hint: it involves the Constitution!
- Maya’s new book!
Resources mentioned in today’s episode:
- Maya’s first book: The Green Amendment: Securing Our Right to a Healthy Environment
- Maya’s first ASM appearance: ASustainableMind.com/026
- TerraCycle, global leader in recycling hard-to-recycle materials: TerraCycle.com
- TerraCycle founder Tom Szaky on ASM: ASustainableMind.com/027
- Book: The Last Train to London: A Novel by Meg Waite Clayton, purchase at JewishBookCouncil.org
- Book: Ishmael by Daniel Quinn, purchase at Ishmael.org
- Last Child In the Woods by Richard Louv, purchase at RichardLouv.com
Connect with Maya and The Green Amendment Team:
- Website: ForTheGenerations.org/the-green-amendment/
- Website: DelawareRiverkeeper.org
- LinkedIn: Linkedin.com/in/maya-van-rossum-21803114/
- Twitter: @GreenAmendments
- Instagram: @GreenAmendments
Connect with Marjorie Alexander:
- Instagram: Instagram.com/asustainablemind/
- Twitter: Twitter.com/SustainableMind
- Facebook: Facebook.com/asustainablemind/
- Website: ASustainableMind.com
Interested in sponsoring or supporting A Sustainable Mind? Visit our sponsorship page at ASustainableMind.com/sponsor!