Raffael Jovine trained in molecular biophysics and biochemistry at Yale, did his PhD in marine sciences at UC Santa Barbara, and completed research at MIT. In 2013, he founded and is now chief scientist of Brilliant Planet, a company that uses seawater, sunlight, and wind to grow food in coastal deserts, replicating algal blooms. He is married with five children and lives in London.
Tentree is an earth-first sustainable clothing company. Check out their selection of eco-friendly clothing and accessories at Tentree.com and use promo code ‘ASM’ for 15% off your first purchase.
Wondrium offers documentaries, series, lessons, how-to’s, and more, on any topic you can imagine. Watch on any device and on the go! To get your FREE trial plus 20% off the annual plan go to Wondrium.com/ASM!
In this episode Marjorie and Raffael discuss:
- The ideal environment for algae to bloom
- How growing algae in the sand creates multiple opportunities for coastal desert communities
- The importance of partnerships when solving hyper-local climate challenges
- Dr. Jovine’s new book How Light Makes Life: The Hidden Wonders and World-Saving Powers of Photosynthesis (publisher link)
Resources mentioned in today’s episode:
- Rachel Carson
- Beatrice Sweeney
- Peter Wohlleben
- NASA Earth Observatory
- Race for Tomorrow: Survival, Innovation and Profit on the Front Lines of the Climate Crisis by Simon Mundy (affiliate link)
- Dune by Frank Herbert and backstory
- The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
Connect with Raffael and the Brilliant Planet Team:
- Website: https://www.brilliantplanet.com/
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/raffael-jovine-3b109b235/
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/brilliantplanet/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/BrillPlanet
Connect with Marjorie Alexander:
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/asustainablemind/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/SustainableMind
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/asustainablemind/
- Website: https://www.asustainablemind.com
Interested in sponsoring or supporting A Sustainable Mind? Visit our sponsorship page at ASustainableMind.com/sponsor!
*Some links on this page might be affiliate links and will help support ASM’s efforts, and will not increase your purchase price.