Jackie Marks is a sustainability communications professional with a passion for protecting animals and the planet. At the MSC Jackie and her team aim to drive greater consumer awareness of the MSC blue fish label and the important role certified sustainable fisheries play in protecting our ocean.
Jackie is the recipient of the Washington Women in Public Relations (WWPR) Emerging Leaders Award (June 2019), was a speaker at United Nations World Wildlife Day at UN HQ (February 2019), and has been quoted in Civil Eats, USA Today, and the Associated Press, among others. She holds master’s degrees in International Relations, and Natural Resources & Sustainable Development, and a bachelor’s degree in Environmental Studies.
Join us for our first live event, M.A.S.S. Eco Summit! It will be 3 days of keynotes, panels, and workshops! Receive event notifications or contact us to get involved at http://MASSEcoLive.com.
In this episode Marjorie and Jackie discuss:
- The role the Marine Stewardship Council plays in making sure shoppers have access to safe, healthy, and sustainable seafood products
- What exactly makes seafood sustainable or not
- How a cookbook is helping the MSC with its efforts to promote sustainable seafood and healthy eating habits
- How to take the first step in getting a job in the physical and environmental sciences
Are you looking to launch or grow your podcast? Sign up for a free 1-on-1 30-minute strategy session with me at https://asustainablemind.com/podcasting!
Resources mentioned in today’s episode:
- DC Eco Women: https://dc.ecowomen.org/
- Anthony Bourdain, food hero and producer of the documentary Wasted! The Story of Food Waste: https://superltd.com/films/wasted-the-story-of-food-waste
- José Andrés, food hero: http://www.joseandres.com/
- Gregory Gourdet, food hero: https://www.bravotv.com/people/gregory-gourdet
- Ayana Elizabeth, marine biologist and founder of Urban Ocean Lab: https://www.ayanaelizabeth.com/
- The Good Trade Newsletter: https://www.thegoodtrade.com/
- Ocean sunfish, aka Mola mola https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_sunfish
- Free 30-day trial for Audible audiobooks: http://asmbook.com
More about the Blue Fish Label: https://www.msc.org/en-us/what-we-are-doing/our-approach/the-blue-fish-label
- The MSC Cookbook: https://stories.msc.org/en-us/healthy-oceans-cookbook/
- Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/mscbluefish
- Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/mscbluefish
- Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/mscbluefish