Fedia Kourbatov is 23 years old and the founder of Baba Bags, a reusable bag social enterprise. Fedia founded Baba Bags in his college dorm room 2 years ago at the University of Oklahoma. Baba Bags’ mission is to eliminate single-use plastic bag usage and give back to impactful nonprofits. In 2 years they have saved an estimated 50,000 single-use plastic bags from being used! Baba Bags currently are handmade, come with a lifetime warranty and come in 2 colors. Their green & white bag is partnered with Action Against Hunger and their orange & white bag is partnered with the National Pediatric Cancer Foundation. Each time the respective color is purchased Baba Bags donates to the partnered charity!
Wondrium offers documentaries, series, lessons, how-to’s, and more, on any topic you can imagine. Watch on any device and on the go! To get your free trial go to Wondrium.com/ASM
In this episode Marjorie and Fedi discuss:
- Starting a business with a social goal as part of its primary mission.
- The personal history behind the design of the Baba Bag and the people behind the handmade bags.
- The future of gamification as an earth-friendly habit-building tool.
- Valuable advice for any entrepreneur.
Resources mentioned in today’s episode:
- How I Built This Podcast – https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/how-i-built-this-with-guy-raz/id1150510297
- Sooner Innovation Fund – ********https://www.ou.edu/entrepreneurship/sooner-innovation-fund
- National Pediatric Cancer Foundation – ****https://nationalpcf.org/
- Action Against Hunger – ****https://www.actionagainsthunger.org/
- SCORE Mentorship program – https://www.score.org/find-mentor
- Evernote – https://evernote.com/
- OpenIDEO – https://www.openideo.com/
- Start Something That Matters by the founder of TOMS Shoes, Blake Mycoskie – https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/201230/start-something-that-matters-by-blake-mycoskie/
Connect with Fedi and the Baba Bag Team:
- Website: https://www.baba-bags.com/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/itsbababags/?hl=en
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/itsbababags/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/itsbababags
Connect with Marjorie Alexander:
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/asustainablemind/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/SustainableMind
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/asustainablemind/
- Website: https://www.asustainablemind.com
Interested in sponsoring or supporting A Sustainable Mind? Visit our sponsorship page at ASustainableMind.com/sponsor!