Kate Flynn, CEO & Co-Founder of Sun & Swell, has an MBA from Harvard, is a Certified Culinary Nutrition Expert, and has a background in strategy consulting in the retail food industry.
Several years ago, she set out to build a new kind of packaged food company – one that is better for both people and the planet. Sun & Swell uses only healthy, organic, whole foods that are free from harmful ingredients and chemical additives, and is a pioneer in the packaged food industry when it comes to using compostable packaging – one of the very first company’s in the US to sell their foods in compostable packaging.
Kate has met her fair share of challenges along the road to transition her company to fully compostable packaging but remains focused on her goal of disrupting the food industry and pioneering a circular food system.
Special discount for ASM listeners! Use promo code “SustainableFoods25” at https://sunandswellfoods.com.
Novak Hair Studios is Fort Worth’s first zero-waste salon and one of the largest in the nation. With luxury amenities, Green Circle Certified sustainability initiatives, and unparalleled customer experiences, Novak is a leader in the beauty industry. Learn more at https://novakhairstudios.com/eco-friendly.
Tentree is an earth-first sustainable clothing company. Check out their selection of eco-friendly clothing and accessories at https://www.tentree.com/ and use promo code ‘ASM’ for 15% off your first purchase.
In this episode Marjorie and Kate discuss:
- The many considerations and challenges of compostable packaging in the food industry.
- Prioritizing non-negotiables in business and how that enabled Sun & Swell to thrive in the niche of organic food sold in compostable packaging.
- Local waste, recycling, and composting infrastructure and why some composting facilities are tossing your bio-degradable items into the landfill.
- New opportunities in the food space for eco-conscious entrepreneurs, brands, and consumers.
Resources mentioned in today’s episode:
- Financing the Circular Economy Report from the Ellen Macarthur Foundation
- The Waste-free World book
- Kiss the Ground documentary
- Pulp Pantry
- Imperfect Foods
- To Good to Go app
Connect with Kate Flynn and Sun & Swell Foods:
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/sunandswellfoods/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sunandswellfoods
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/kate-flynn-15187726/
- Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/sunandswellfoods/_created/
Connect with Marjorie Alexander:
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/asustainablemind/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/SustainableMind
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/asustainablemind/
- Website: https://www.asustainablemind.com
Interested in sponsoring or supporting A Sustainable Mind? Visit our sponsorship page at ASustainableMind.com/sponsor!